Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Race Recap ~ Crosstown Showdown 5K

This past weekend I participated in the annual Crosstown Showdown 5K to benefit the Relay-for-Life. Such a great idea to combine the rivalry of the two area schools (Paragould & Greene County Tech) and the community love of running to raise money for cancer research. I'm not sure I know a single person who hasn't been touched by cancer in some form or fashion. There were 170 registered participants, which for these area races, is really good. My 18 year old son, Blake, was among the participants and I love when he races with me :)

We got there about 30 minutes early and checked in, got our bibs, shoe tags, and t-shirts. I love local races because I know so many of the faces in the crowd and we have an amazing cheering section. I found my friend, Judy, and talked to her. She had a friend with her that it was her first race, so it was refreshing to see that new excitement. Before we knew it, it was time to line up.

I positioned myself toward the middle of the pack, since I knew there was quite a few walkers in this race. I generally try to stay toward the back since I know I'm a very slow runner.

Mile 1: This portion of the race was mainly flat with one small hill around the half mile mark. My legs felt good and I felt like I was staying on track. I looked down at my watch at the end of the mile only to realize that I'd gone out too fast. My average pace was 11'30". I knew I couldn't maintain that pace throughout and tried to dial it down a notch.

Mile 2: Started with a straight stretch and then had a couple of hills. I was proud of myself for running UP the hills this time. My pace was still a little fast, but I had dialed it back quite a bit.

Mile 3: This was a struggle. I wasn't familiar with the course and I just wanted to be done. My legs were getting tired and my lungs were done...then I seen the finish line.

I finished almost 3 minutes faster than my last race, but not quite my best overall. I was pleased.

Official Finish Time: 43:25 with an average pace of 13'54

Blake finished at exactly 25:00 and claimed 2nd place in his age division. I'm so proud that he enjoys running and its something we can do together (well, sort of...if I could keep up!)

Next race is at Craighead Forest next Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment