Monday, May 26, 2014

Weekly Chase (& a Detour) ~ May 26, 2014

Happy Memorial Day! I've enjoyed the day with my family. I always struggle a bit celebrating today, as a soldier's wife, I know how much sacrifice is made by the soldier (and his family) to protect the freedoms so many of us take for granted. Today is a day to honor those that have given the ultimate sacrifice and part of me feels guilty enjoying BBQ, swimming, and family, knowing that there are so many families that have given the ultimate sacrifice for us. However, lest we never forget! We celebrate and honor our heroes! A huge shoutout to my hubby, who has completed two overseas deployments, and continues to serve through the National Guard. Love that man!

Now...on to the Weekly Chase :)

So....whoever says that running isn't a real sport, needs to try it on for size. Like all athletes, we train hard and sometimes have injuries and setbacks. (cue sad music)

Which brings me to my "detour." I've been having issues with my left hamstring for several weeks...maybe months. I've been trying to be tough  stubborn and have been just running through the pain and discomfort, but finally last week, I cracked. It's just so annoying to be having this pain that won't allow me to progress. So...I fessed up to my coach and she advised rest. (I knew she would) It definitely changes my goals for the week.

This Week's Goals:


  1. Daily Foam Rolling ~ this has become such a part of my routine and makes a huge difference in the way my body feels.
  2. Daily Stretching ~ specifically, my hamstring and hips.
  3. Strength Train Arms 3x ~ since I can't run/walk/bike/elliptical/etc...I'm going to work on my arms and...
  4. Daily Core Workout ~ I'm realizing how important this is to running
  5. Cook At Home ~ I'm not going for perfection here, but a majority percentage

It's a different kind of training week and I have to admit, not running sucks way more than I ever imagined it would, but I'm not going to let it completely derail me. I'm going to work on what I can and allow my hamstring an opportunity to heal so that I can kick it in SOON!

What are your goals for the week?
How do you deal with injuries and setbacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment